Friday 16 December 2011

let it snow

Let it snow, let it snow. I put on my coat this morning, all ready for the short commute to the cafe. I walked down the hallway to the front door and heard Asha calling from our bedroom, "How cold is it outside?" I opened the door to make an assessment. "Cold. It's also raining." I looked at the dimly lit street once again, "Wait. That's snow. It's snowing!"
I was so full of glee that I perhaps would have wet my knickers a wee bit had I drank more than half a mug of tea! I don't remember the last time I was so excited. I caught some snowflakes on my nose and eyelashes and some on my sleeve too. I smiled all the way to work on account of what I could see floating about me. An hour or so passed and the snowflakes grew, in size and numbers. Between coffees I relived my initial excitement with Jacinta, a fellow Australian who works in the office beneath the cafe. We stood by the glass doors and stared into the street, where the air was speckled with white. Oh! It was so beautiful. Another hour or two passed and so did the snow. I hope it returns. I do.