Friday 20 May 2011

dukes head

Wow oh wow what a glorious night. I wandered around the corner to the Duke's Head once again to sing tunes to new strangers. I waited patiently for my turn, watching and listening to the souls that sang before me. I was baffled by the sounds that filled my ears and the sights that my eyes beheld. So many happy people, such a great feeling about the place. An elderly Polish woman told me I was beautiful, took pictures of me and said she'd like to be my Grandmother. I thanked her and agreed to her proposal with a giggle.
Oli grinned in my direction as I climbed upon the coffee coloured stool by fireplace and began rambling my love songs into the microphone. His grin was teamed with a thumbs up which really did wonders for me. When I started to sing, the loveliest thing happened. The voices that had been loud for hours suddenly became nothing more than a whisper and remained so until I had finished. I'm not quite sure what it was that brought so many people to near silence but it made me feel like one hundred dollars. As did the comments I received from the old and the not-as-old folk that passed by me on their way to buy another round or use the loo. I stayed by the bar chatting to various people until 1.30am before bidding a fond farewell to Oli through the window and making my way home looking "like a rock star", as he told me, with my guitar strung over my shoulder.

This couple sang Polish folk songs. He was a brilliant pianist, she is now my Grandmother.


This lady was an amazing whistler, I was a little envious.