Thursday 2 June 2011

a little insight, turkish delight

'Work' today consisted of taking Bryce to Ravenscourt Park to meet his friend Kingsley and reading Dorian Gray while he played, lifting my eyes from the page now and then to make sure he was still alive. On our way home as he was nibbling a biscuit he looked down and said with a hint of sadness "I don't have a heart". When I enquired why this was so he told me "because I'm not a girl". I pondered his comments, wondering where or why he had manufactured such a thought. And though there is no literal truth to what he told me, it is a plausible explaination of a sort as to why boys cancel breakfast dates at half past two the morning of..

***

It's dear Megan's birthday tomorrow. We celebrated the occasion by dining out in Islington this evening in a Turkish restaurant that I became quite fond of. I ate too much and wished I hadn't. I read Dorian Gray all the way home and in my mind made plans for the time between noon and night tomorrow..